Thursday, November 1, 2007

17th August: Not quite Nessun Dorma

Woke up this morning with no hangover. Diaharea kicked in 30 mins later. It got worse and worse. I managed to drag myself to an art museum to see a black and white photo expedition from a Mongolian photographer from the 70s. It was amazing stuff. Leaving the museum, I had to do the chicken run back to the hostel to stop myself from soiling my pants. At this stage I was as weak as water and was sick of being harassed by students who wanted to practice their English with me.

After a shower and a lie down I was feeling a bit better so we headed to see a Chinese opera.
It was unbelievable. The most surreal thing I’ve ever seen. The costumes were unreal and the characters didn’t disappoint either. I think the story went something like this.

Prince is killed by wife who is killed by his brother who marries her sister and elopes before she takes revenge and is in turn killed by the god of acrobatics, who is a cat.

By half time (3 hours later) we couldn’t take the shrill voices of the transvestite actors anymore so we had to leave.

No comments: